Sunday, February 21, 2010

Shopping, Malls, and the Dubai Shopping Festival (DSF)






Dubai is all about shopping. There are at least 8 major shopping malls, most of which are bigger than those in the states. Some of them are Festival City, Wafi (Egyptian Themed), Mercato (like Venice), Dubai Mall (biggest mall in the world), Mall of the Emirates (with indoor ski area), Ibn Battuta Mall, etc. The DSF is a month long affair that is one of the main tourist attractions in Dubai. Every mall had ridiculous sales, and pretty much any store you can think of is in Dubai. If you spend a certain amount of money, you get free raffle tickets to win cars, your weight in gold, vacations, and tons of money. Before the economic crises, one Rolls Royce was given away every single day. Now it’s slightly more toned down. They also have a fireworks show every single night and carnivals and cultural events throughout the city. Since I needed to go shopping, I figured I’d go during the festival, and I got a couple raffle tickets to win a Mercedes. Fingers crossed! One thing I did buy was a pair of sandals. This was a big deal because I’ve only had crocs for almost a year now, so for all of you croc haters, I will no longer being wearing crocs all the time! As most of you know, I hate shopping and suck at it, so I recruited my cousin and her mom, and they literally had laid out a route through the mall to take me on to get what I needed. I went to Dubai Mall, and took a couple pictures, so you can see how insane the place is. They have maps just for the parking garage! The mall has an ice rank, an aquarium, and tons of other random things. At some point I will post pictures of the other malls so you can see how nice they are. I hate shopping malls generally, but the ones here are so nice, that I don’t mind going to them. Not to mention, it gets so hot here during the summer, that everyone just hangs out in malls, because you cant do anything outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment